A FEW PRELIMINARY NOTES FOR THIS MONTH’S STUDY:
- This is the answer guide for February’s Encourager’s Devotional Bible Study.
- Many of the questions allow for various, personal responses. For those, I’ll not list answers but feel free to leave your answers to any question in the comments section.
- If you would like a leader’s guide to this study, email me (email@example.com).
- All prior posts for The Encourager’s Devotional Series can be accessed by clicking here.
- There were two meditation sections in the study guide this month – one up front to prepare our hearts for the study, and the other in its usual place the study.
Choose a few of the following accounts from the Gospels to read (or any others that may be favorites of yours which demonstrate the love of God). Remember, these stories are found in the other Gospels too, so you might want to do some cross-referencing and read several accounts. When you are finished, take some time to meditate on the extent of God’s love and express your thankfulness to Him.
- The prodigal son (Lk 15:11-32)
- Thomas’ doubt (Jn 20:24-30)
- The crucifixion (Jn 19)
- The adulterous woman forgiven (Jn 8:3-11)
- “Father forgive them” (Lk 23:33-34)
- Peter’s denials and restoration (Lk 22:54-62; 24:34; Mk 16:6-7; 1 Cor 15:4-5)
- Do you have another favorite passage which demonstrates the love of God? Feel free to share it in the comments.
For the following question, I do not request you list the answers in the comments (though you may). If, however, you are doing this study with a small group, you may want to discuss it.
Can you identify with any of these sinners?
- the rebellious/wasteful son
- the doubter
- the mockers and unbelievers,
- the one afraid to speak for Christ
- the one led to sin by fleshly desires
From Romans 5:8, answer the following questions:
How did God demonstrate His love for us? Christ died for us
When did God demonstrate His love for us? while we were still sinners
Read 1 John 1:9 and reflect on the extent of God’s mercy and love.
What did Jesus say were the two greatest commandments? Mt 22:36-40
Love the Lord your God, and love your neighbor as yourself.
List the five types of leaders Jesus gave as gifts to the church. (Eph 4:11)
apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers
What are these leaders supposed to do for the saints? (Eph 4:12)
to equip his people for works of service – That is, to empower the saints to DO ministry themselves.
What is the purpose of our works of service to one another? (Eph 4:12) Continue reading